Sunday, April 13, 2008

Must we be so Uppity!!!

I have always admired the sneaker and streetwear culture as a whole. Now that I'm actually having more networking experience in the culture, it amazes me how snobby people are when it comes to sneakers and streetwear. I mean what are we really being uppity over--some sneakers and tees?!? Some of these people at these boutiques wanna stare you up and down and look at you like why are you in here and really why I'm there is to buy some sneakers duh!!! Then you have these people who work or own these shops complain about how hype the whole culture is getting and claiming to be real when their shop is located in the land of hype (Soho and L.E.S.) Who are you fooling? You're feeding into it, and you know exactly what you're doing. The way some of these people come off it's like being at a country club. If you don't have the latest SB or you didn't spend 100 and up on a pair of kicks or didn't buy the most exclusive hoodie you ain't nothing. I thought this whole industry was about wearing what you feel and having fun with it. If I wanted to be judged, I would have entered myself in a beauty pageant!! Cause while you're sitting there and judging people and telling people what they should be wearing, Footlocker, Finish Line and major athletic stores are taking your money. Here is a suggestion for all the people who own and work at these exclusive boutiques: take the stick out and relax!!!

3 comments:

Hi-Top Studio said...

This article is so true. As a boutique owner I try to get away from this and be as genuine and humble as possible. There's no need to be snobby, i mean, its just clothes! Before I opened my store, Hi-Top Studio in Ft Lauderdale, FL, I went to a lot of different stores and a lot of them made me feel really uncomfortable.. giving me that stare.. like, why are you here? How can you expect people to want to buy from you and support what you're doing if you make everyone who walks in feel uncomfortable. Maybe they just do it to females.. I have yet to hear a guy tell me the same. But ALL the girls in FSF Florida have told me they have felt that uncomfortable glare in at least 2 of the shops down here. And I guess it doesn't stop in Florida. A lot of people in the streetwear game are quite uppity, and I never got it. I guess thats why I have such loyal customers.

If anything, I know EXACTLY how you feel, and just know, that some of us are trying to change things. Its a movement. A way of life. Why try to ruin that for people?

<3
cMs

readysetfashion said...

This is more like the truth and not a rant. I'm so glad you put it down for everyone to hear.

colly mack said...

for real