Friday, August 24, 2007

Kerin Rose and A-Morir


Kerin Rose is 24and the very talented creator of A-Morir clothing, who has also sponsored our birthday bash (your coming right? don't forget to RSVP!) she lives and works in Manhattan and she is "Married to the hustle." She hand prints all her designs so cross your fingers you are lucky enough to get one of her originals in your gift bag, or go to www.a-morir.com
Thanks Karin!!!
(photo's by TONE)

Where are you originally from?
Born in Manhattan, raised in the upper right hand corner of the subway map in Port Washington, Long Island.

When did you start a-morir and how did you come up with the name?
I've been making clothing for as long as I can remember, but a-morir has come to fruition within the past year. I got the name a-morir when I went to Madrid and saw Argentinan artist Miguel Angel Rios's "A Morir ('til Death)," a three screen video installation of 30 wooden spinning tops fighting 'til death. There's more to it, lets just say it made sense.

I love your photo shoots, where is that place, with all the white tiles and graffiti?
Haha, thanks! That was a crazy gonzo shoot I did in Williamsburg with my good friend, Dana - www.danaloia.com - Another friend of mine lives there - it used to be an old concert venue, and now it's an apartment! I've since done a beautiful studio shoot with TONE - www.photobytone.com - so I could show both the highbrow and grimier style of streetwear.

Where is your Day job, do you design for others as well?
I work at an alternative marketing firm during the day, it's a great place for my business and creative sides to coexist. As for other projects; most recently a good friend of mine commissioned me to paint him a Biggie as Buddha painting. Oh, and I'm also in a hip hop duo called SnatchWax.

What is your favorite a-morir print so far?
That's like deciding between my favorite Beatle (Ringo, FYI)!! I really do love them all, especially because they're all very different screens. I love the reaction to the "INDUSTRY" shirt the most; I worked in the music industry for 4 years, and have professionally tested the water of a few others. Nothing is tackier to me than people who care about what you do for a living, not what kind of a person you are. I made the first one about 3 years ago as a reaction to that, and people either get it and love it, or they have no clue.

Do you collect sneakers?
I'm a huge consumer of both streetwear and sneaker culture. I don't just collect sneakers, I collect shoes. And I wear every single pair! I have a handful of quality kicks that never fail to impress but I buy them for me. I just happen to have excellent taste. Pow!

what are your favorite pair?
It's a tie between my a-morir swarovski converse hi tops that i hand applied 2700 crystals to, or my Tiffany diamond dunks - because they're the same colorway as my apartment.

Anything you want us all to know about you and a-morir?
My first answer to this was a total ramble, so now I'm going to try and keep it short. I have always viewed fashion as an art form, and I intend on keeping a-morir as close to a hand made line as I can. Every shirt is hand screened, every dress and hat is hand sewn, making every piece your own unique piece of art. You'll love it 'till death. Also, I love reading books on cultural theory and history and eating cookies.

Any shout outs?
First to Jessica, aka YOSHI (who you may know formerly of Homeroom, currently of Fatlace) first and foremost for being a great friend, for believing in me, and hooking me up with this event. A shout out to Meme, Abi, and Noni, and to my best friends. And a shout out to everyone at Def Jux for making me an honorary member of the fam, especially when glitter is involved.

No comments: