Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Sneaker Design School, An Occupational Hazard

The day I spent my student loan….
One of the pleasures of research was a store visit that lasted three days, made by chance, to the legendary Sports and Things, as featured way back in Sneaker Freaker.

As I stepped off the bus I was horrified at the sight of CLOSING DOWN SALE, I even broke out into hot sweats like a post-menopausal lady. What met me the other side of the door was a sight for saw eyes. There were piles of trainers on tables, boxes scattered about the place and more rails of discount mis-fit clothing than a charity shop.

I pulled my jaw off the floor and made a move towards the store manager.
The manager, big up your chest sir, claims to have the Holy Grail of basketball trainers- he even had the pictures of them on his phone! Seriously guys, sexism for being a femalesneakerfiend? That’s bull, if anything it’s surprisingly easy to bond over leather, laces and gum soles. I had a personal shopping experience with a guided tour of the 3 HUGE stock rooms.
Photobucket
I bought more than I could carry, had to go back the next day and ended up repeating the spending mayhem…
Photobucket
So normally this would be a sign of obsessive sole sickness, but actually I’m one of the few that can genuinely say this many trainers in ownership will help me. Yes that’s right, each purchase was necessary, even on a parallel to finding next months rent.

Admittedly when I arrived on the third day, I was handed the previous purchases and told sternly no more, little did they know they already had most of my student loan for the term.

Not just an expensive shopping trip?
The visit was a quest to talk to the store manager about retail and the trainer market. Store managers have a good overview of what is selling and who’s buying it, as well as dealing with customer feedback. They are, in a way on the front line of retail, and have direct contact with the consumer.
This all counts towards primary research.
As a designer you have to look at what’s already been created, and who is buying it.
You need to be aware, so the product can be improved and offer the customer something new.
It’s also an area to draw inspiration. Past, present and if you’ve got the links, future designs allow you to reflect on the fine balance of a great creation and a mighty monster.

A few golden oldies that I can’t take my eyes off
Photobucket

No comments: