Monday, June 11, 2007

by hand Clothing







By hand Clothing is really cool, because you can customize your own shirt!!!
This is what Founder and fellow FSF has to say about it:
By Hand is a clothing lined started up by me, Jenevieve. I began designing clothes about 11 or 12 years ago with needle, thread, and scraps of fabric. About six years ago I began exploring hand cut stencil images applied to clothing with spray paint. After two years of decorating my own denims, bags, and tees By Hand items were being produced for the streets. Living in a Brooklyn loft with other artists, we produced our art onto tees and took it to the streets to sell. That was a beautiful summer. I made some of my most intricate stencils, some taking up to 2 days of non stop drawing and tracing and yes, cutting. We all had blisters from gripping xactos all day. Later that year I began screen printing. Summer 2007 is about 2 years later and this is the product; a custom clothing line with a few friends on the same page involved. By Hand only uses water based inks because of the variety in effects it can create and it's finer quality than the more popular plastisol ink. The finished product will never alter. The ink can feel rough and gritty or as soft as the fine tees we use. I might throw it back with some spray paint and airbrush styles. I'll be 22 this summer with only more and more years ahead of me. I started with crayons and pencils like all kids but I just kept expanding and exploring. From early I worked on canvas or wood in just about every medium you would like to name. I love photography and try to hit up the darkroom when I can. I'm always trying to get up with other painters to do outdoor murals. Like so many nowadays, I love sneakers, i've been collecting since I got my first job at 15. Trying to run a clothing line is hard work but I still try and go skateboarding when i'm not too tired. I've been skating since I was four years old and don't know when i'll ever stop. So that's me, the lady behind By Hand Clothing Co. That's what has influenced and directed the line. We'll just keep doing what we've always done and let the trends catch up.

To find out more, or to begin customizing your own shirt go to www.byhandclothingco.com

No comments: