Friday, February 23, 2007

Tens by the Hundreds.....



One designer I was particularly happy to meet was Digit (picured above at magic) from Tens.
Although Im an avid reader of Bobby hundreds blog I never realized they had a womens line called Tens,,,,,
Digit showed me some of the very cute/clever designs they have coming for 2007 and answered some of my questions:

What are the design principles of the new collection?
For my spring/summer collection of tees and hoodies, I focused on mixing high fashion detail and street in to one collection. I used lots of bright neon colors and pastels, to show the contrast between past, present, and future. For example...As a child, I wore pastels and light pinks and lavendars. For this season, there is a tee called Haterblocker (avaliable in 3 pastel colors), with 3 girls out of a storybook making fun of another girl who has jordan V's and cazals on. It just reminded me of being a kid and always trying to look fresh at school, and being made fun of for it. (see pic below) I also incorporated things that inspired me as a child. Including Gem, comics, graffiti, girlfights (haha), and dressing up in my moms stilettos. And in the midst of all these girly things, I was born in East Los Angeles and saw such a contrast with graffiti and gangs, and added that into my designs, as a way of keeping it real to the Cali street culture.

Do you collect kicks?
yes

Have you been involved in designing for any other clothing brands?
yes. I have had the opportunity to design some kicks for Greedy Genius. They haven't been released yet though.

How has sneaker culture influenced the clothes you make?
I have been influenced by color ways and fabrications for sure. But most importantly, by the history of sneaker culture, and being a female in this game.

last of all what is your favorite all time sneaker?
Jordan IV's, and Reebok pumps.

Anything you would like to say to all the female sneaker fiends out there??
STAY INVINCIBLE!!!


Damn Digit, this picture makes me want to move back to Cali,,,, ITs freezing in new york today!

No comments: