Anyone who has ever looked at a furry (3 Bears?!?) pair of kicks and thought, "geez, I could do better than this", here's your chance to show your stuff! Well, not everyone, but anyone who fits in the guidelines below, here's your chance to show your stuff and maybe even get the attention of some serious designers at Nike/Jordan. The info below is copied from the competition website:
Here's the Contest:
- Submit up to three original shoe designs.
- NIKE will select two finalists.
- Each finalist will be given a new design project and mentoring from a NIKE designer.
- Finalists will travel to NIKE World Headquarters to present their new original design.
- NIKE will select one winner from the two finalists, with the winner receiving:
MacBook Pro 15
Design programs for the MacBook
Wacom Graphic Tablet (9 x 12)
CAN I ENTER?You can enter if you’re a student between 14 and 19 years old who is a sophomore, junior or senior in high school as of January 1, 2008, and a legal resident of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. You can’t enter, though, if you’re an employee of NIKE, any of our related companies (like Converse, Cole Haan, Hurley, Exeter Brands/Starter, etc.) or any prize suppliers. You can’t enter if you’re an immediate family member of or live in the same household as any of these employees.
Also, if you think you might be interested, but you're not sure where to start, here are some ideas:
1) read the posts by "sneaker design school gal" who shares a lot of what she learned at snkr design school in London
2) read interviews with established and up-and-coming female snkr designers in FSF's "Women in the Industry" section or interviews with guy designers in Sole Collector Magazine.
3) generate as many ideas and get as much feedback as you can! Ask art teachers, sneakerhead friends, anyone you trust to be honest (ie-blunt) and not steal your shit! Feel free to email me, and I'm happy to help any way I can, and maybe include you in an article about this competition.
And last but not least: get busy and HAVE FUN!